McCormick & Company, Incorporated recently release the McCormick® Flavor Forecast® 2017.
For nearly two decades, this much-anticipated annual report from McCormick has predicted emerging flavors – like chipotle chilies, coconut water and peri-peri sauce – that are now found everywhere from restaurants to retail shelves and kitchen cabinets.
“This year, the Flavor Forecast identifies cutting-edge flavors that help chefs, tastemakers and home cooks refresh their menus,” said McCormick Executive Chef Kevan Vetter. “Discover a new all-purpose seasoning – Baharat. It’s a fragrant, Eastern Mediterranean blend of spices such as cumin, cardamom, black pepper, nutmeg and more. Sprinkle over warm, seasonal soups, stir into tomato-based sauces, or add to your favorite chicken dish.”
Here are the five flavor trends the chefs, culinary professionals, trend trackers and flavor experts at McCormick have identified for 2017:
RISE & SHINE TO GLOBAL TASTES – Breakfast options with big, global flavors are being sought after by a generation of flavor adventurists not content with the same boring bowl. Try warm, sweet congee or a Middle Eastern-inspired breakfast hash topped with a spicy skhug sauce.
• Taste It: BREAKFAST HASH WITH SKHUG SAUCE - Tender chickpeas, ground lamb or beef and roasted vegetables seasoned with a blend of coriander, cumin and fennel.
• Say It: SKHUG [SHUG], this complex Middle Eastern hot sauce is made with Thai bird eye chilies, cumin, cardamom, coriander, garlic, parsley, cilantro, olive oil and lemon juice.
PLANCHA: FLAT-OUT GRILLING – Hailing from Spain, France’s Basque region as well as Mexico, the plancha (a thick, flat slab of cast iron) is growing in popularity around the world for creating a sizzling, smoky sear and flavor crust. Grillers can easily use the plancha with meats, seafood and vegetables, paired with bold sauces, rubs and glazes.
• Taste It: ESPELETTE PEPPER-RUBBED STEAK A LA PLANCHA - a zesty, Mediterranean-herb rub enhances juicy steak grilled on a sizzling hot plancha.
• Say It: ESPELETTE [ES-PE-LET] PEPPER, originating from the Basque region of France, delivers a distinctively smoky, sweet and mildly hot flavor.
EGG YOLKS: THE SUNNY SIDE OF FLAVOR – Egg yolks leave breakfast behind! Whether poached, fried or cured, chefs are pairing these indulgent golden gems with a range of spices, herbs and sauces on lunch and dinner menus.
• Taste It: MEDITERRANEAN VEGETABLE SHAKSHUKA - Sunny-side-up egg yolks simmered in a tomato and vegetable sauce make a rustic supper.
• Say It: SHAKSHUKA [SHAHK-SHOO-KAH], flavored with a savory spice blend of smoked paprika, cumin, pepper, cayenne, turmeric and caraway.
MODERN MED – Discover the new cuisine for the 21st century - melding Eastern Mediterranean ingredients with Western European classics.
• Taste It: PERSIAN MINESTRONE - Persian Ash-e reshteh meets Italian minestrone.
• Say It: ASH-E RESHTEH [OSH-E-RESH-TAY], a thick, hearty soup made with beans, herbs, turmeric and flat noodles.
SWEET ON PEPPER – Enter the new sweet heat. With an up-front bite and lingering sensation, peppercorns are finally capturing the spotlight. Their cedar and citrus notes pair perfectly with up-and-coming naturally sweet ingredients like dates and dragon fruit.
• Taste It: DRAGON FRUIT & STRAWBERRY “POKE” WITH PEPPER SYRUP - Fresh strawberry and diced dragon fruit salad atop a dollop of peppered whipped cream and crispy wontons.
• Say It: POKE [PO-KAY], create this unique take on Hawaiian poke salad with a drizzle of balsamic-pepper syrup.
To view and explore the full Flavor Forecast 2017 report, visit www.FlavorForecast.com.