Registered Dieticians say that in 2017, consumers will be focused on eating clean, by trying to consume less processed foods and more whole foods such as…
· Fermented foods such as yogurt and cheese
· Ancient whole grains and green tea
· Plant-based proteins like nuts and seeds
· And for the first time ever, salmon made the coveted Top 10 Superfoods list
However, old favorites like kale have lost footing and unfortunately for kale, it continues to move down the list in comparison to previous years.
List of the Top 10 Superfoods in 2017:
1. Seeds, like chia and hemp
3. Nuts, like almonds and walnuts
4. Fermented foods like yogurt
5. Ancient grains
7. Green tea
8. Coconut products
9. Exotic fruits
ADDITIONAL SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
Food Transparency Has Eased Consumer Concern
Compared to 2016, dietitians report that consumers will be less concerned with the food trends of previous years, such as:
· Foods that are GMO-free, sustainable or gluten-free.
· GMO-free and sustainable foods have experienced on average a 20% decrease in terms of what concerns consumers. Dietitians attribute this decline to food label transparency and more food companies changing their ingredient deck. In contrast, consumers will be looking for more low-sodium and sugar-free options in 2017.
To access the full survey findings, please refer to the What’s Trending in Nutrition press release.