Naturex: Natural Flavor Enhancer
Naturex leads the way in expanding the Thaumatin market
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has published a favorable opinion on the safety of Thaumatin (E 957) for extended use and opens the door to a broad range of new applications.
Talin®, a natural extract from the fruit Thaumatococcus Danielli, is a multi-functional food additive (Thaumatin – E 957) that improves the taste profile of foods and beverages, masks off-tastes, enhances flavors, and improves the taste of sugar and salt replacers.
Last year, Naturex submitted an application to the European Commission to extend the use of Talin®. On October 13, 2015, EFSA released a scientific opinion supporting the safety of the requested extension.
This opens the door to a broad range of new applications, including:
• salt substitutes (to reduce their off-tastes)
• soups, sauces and snacks (to increase flavor perception and enable salt reduction)
• energy reduced breakfast cereals, jams and jellies (to increase the perceived sweetness when used in combination with other sweeteners)
• food supplements to mask the aftertaste or the bitterness of some actives
• alcoholic beverages to lift and rebalance the overall flavor
• an increase in the currently approved maximum use level (from 0.5mg/L to 5mg/L) in flavored drinks
• the possibility to use Thaumatin as a food additive in food flavorings under Regulation (EC) No 1333/2008
“As a leading actor in the Thaumatin category, Naturex is duty bound to contribute to the market’s development,” says Amandine de Santi, Food & Beverage Business Manager at Naturex. “We are pleased to be able to open discussions in order to move forward on this key issue.”
Naturex is the global leader in specialty plant-based natural ingredients. Through its dedicated business units, the Group addresses the specific needs of three strategic markets: Food & Beverages, Nutrition & Health, and Personal Care. The company offers its customers a full array of high-quality ingredients, responsibly sourced from nature for food, nutraceutical and cosmetic applications.
Naturex’s head office is in Avignon, France. The company employs more than 1,700 people and benefits from eight sourcing offices around the world and high-performance manufacturing operations across 15 sites in Europe, Morocco, the United States, Brazil, Australia, India, and Chile. It also has a global commercial presence through a dedicated network of 25 sales offices.
Learn more at www.naturex.com.