Key findings include:
• 58.4% of respondents said they eat soup at least once a week.
• 86.5% of respondents said that a rainy or cold day makes them want to eat soup.
• 58.6% said they would order soup on a business lunch.
• 49.3% would order soup on a first date.
• 73.7% admitted to having slurped their soup (25.7% say slurping is how they regularly eat soup).
• Of those who would order soup on a business lunch and first date, 74.9% admit to having slurped their soup.
• 49.3% of respondents admit to having put their finger in the soup to test its temperature (82.5% of these people admit to having slurped their soup).
• 28.6% believe that the biggest faux pas in soup etiquette is picking up the bowl to drink the last mouthful, followed by 22.3% dripping it on your top.
• Of those who admitted to slurping and sticking their finger in the soup to test the temperature, 35.1% thought it was bad manners to pick up the bowl and drink the last mouthful, with 6.5% saying that slurping is bad manners and 9.1% saying that putting your finger in the soup is wrong -- even though they have done both.
• 81.3% agree with Jerry Seinfeld and say soup is a meal.
From the November 17, 2011, Prepared Foods' Daily News.