The Natural Health Products Directorate (NHPD), the regulatory agency for natural health products in Canada, has granted five of LHS's key probiotic formulas new condition specific health claims in the areas of digestive health, natural defenses and stress. These new health claims are based on strong scientific and clinical data supporting each benefit and condition of use. This culminates many years of work and research in partnership with leading universities and hospitals.
The products and their newly approved health claims are as follow:
• ProbioKid: "Helps to reinforce the body's natural defences in children" (Claim NPN 80019993).
• Probio'Stick: "Helps to reduce stress-related gastrointestinal complications like nausea" (Claim NPN 80021343).
• Protecflor: "Helps to reduce the risk of traveler's diarrhea" (Claim NPN 80021342).
• Lacidofil: "Restoring and maintaining intestinal flora"; "Helps to reduce the risk of antibiotic associated diarrhea AAD (in children and adolescents from 2 to 18 years of age)." (Claim NPN 80020017)
• Lalflor (sachets or capsules) (Saccharomyces cerevisiae Boulardii CNCM I-1079): "Helps to reduce the risk of antibiotic associated diarrhea" (Claim NPN 80038395).
These products had already been recognised by the Canadian Health Authorities for their probiotic benefits with claims such as "Probiotic to benefit health and/or confer a health benefit" or "Probiotic that contributes to a natural healthy gut flora."
The realization of obtaining these condition specific claims will allow the end users to understand the targeted health benefits of Lallemand's probiotic formulations. This will further solidify the position of Lallemand's customers in an already expanding and competitive market.