FrieslandCampina Ingredients: Prolonged Protein
FrieslandCampina Ingredients North America introduces native, prolonged release protein
The sports and lifestyle nutrition markets have experienced a significant shift in consumer demand towards “less processed” and “label-friendly” nutritional solutions.
FrieslandCampina Ingredients’ new Micelate™ Prestige is a premium quality, cold-processed, native micellar casein isolate, derived from high quality milk. Its unique microfiltration process results in a very pure micellar casein with a 95:5 casein-to-whey ratio.
Micellar casein is known for its prolonged digestion profile when compared to other common dairy protein sources available in the sports nutrition market today1,2,3,4. This prolonged digestion profile ensures a sustained release of amino acids, supporting muscle mass and strength gain augmentation during sleep or when a longer recovery period is available. This profile is perfectly suited to support recovery needs of active consumers.
“Consumers and sporting enthusiasts around the world are increasingly looking beyond just protein and towards more natural less processed solutions with proven benefits,” notes Mai Nygaard, marketing director at FrieslandCampina Ingredients DMV. “Our journey in developing this ingredient started with understanding the unmet needs of athletes. Our end user research indicated athletes’ priorities lie in supporting their recovery and increasing their performance to the maximum - but so far there was no premium solution available that ticked all the right boxes. Micelate™ Prestige addresses those needs and is now available to sports nutrition manufacturers looking to tap into optimization of their consumers’ nutrition, training and fitness results.”
Just as with regular micellar casein, Micelate™ Prestige extraction process starts with fresh milk, but that is where the similarities end. Micelate™ Prestige micellar casein isolate is obtained through microfiltration and cold processing, which results in a native protein5, meaning that the structure of the micelle is comparable to that of fresh milk.
Instantized for ease-of-use, Micelate™ Prestige offers a pleasant sensory experience. With its great stability, easy dispersion, low viscosity and superior emulsification characteristics, it is an ideal component for a variety of end-applications.
Every day Royal FrieslandCampina provides millions of consumers all over the world with food that is rich in valuable nutrients from milk. Customers are increasingly choosing on the basis of performance in terms of quality, transparency, sustainability and grazing. This starts at the farm and ends with the product. FrieslandCampina manages the whole production chain—from grass to glass.
FrieslandCampina Ingredients is a global leader in dairy-based ingredients and solutions, providing great nutrition and taste for a high quality of life. The business group Ingredients helps customers to win in the market, especially in the areas where nutrition matters most.
At this year’s SupplySide West in Las Vegas, NV, Booth #3435, FrieslandCampina Ingredients invites customers and partners to taste our innovative application suggestions, which tap into consumers’ need for great tasting products that deliver label friendly superior nutrition.
1. Boirie Y, Dangin M, Gachon P, Vasson MP, Maubois JL, Beaufrere B. Slow and fast dietary proteins differently modulate postprandial protein accretion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1997;94:14930–5.
2. Dangin M, Boirie Y, Garcia-Rodenas C, et al. The digestion rate of protein is an independent regulating factor of postprandial protein retention. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001;280:E340–8.
3. Tang JE, Moore DR, Kujbida GW, Tarnopolsky MA, Phillips SM. Ingestion of whey hydrolysate, casein, or soy protein isolate: effects on mixed muscle protein synthesis at rest and following resistance exercise in young men. J Appl Physiol 2009;107:987–92.
4. Koopman R, Crombach N, Gijsen AP, et al. Ingestion of a protein hydrolysate is accompanied by an accelerated in vivo digestion and absorption rate when compared with its intact protein. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;90:106–15.Sdafs
5. FrieslandCampina expert statement on casein micelle structure in commercially available micellar casein isolate. Available upon request.
For more information visit micelateprestige.com.
FrieslandCampina Ingredients North America, Inc.
Georgia Dina Konstantopoulos
+1 551 497 7336