S&D Coffee & Tea released its 2017 Sustainability Highlights. Titled, “Continuing to Invest in the Future,” the new report outlines how S&D is redefining the corporate climate with social and sustainable initiatives that create real change.
“As a global beverage supplier, sustainability has always played a key role in how we do business,” says Ron Hinson, president & CEO of S&D. “From operations to our entire supply chain, we recognize that embedding sustainability throughout all aspects of our business is critical, not only to our company’s future, but the future of the entire industry.”
The company’s key focus areas include:
• Workplace Responsibility: We are committed to the health, safety and continued development of our employees.
• Corporate Citizenship: We contribute to the growth of those who live and do business in our communities—at home and at origin.
• Sourcing with Purpose: We know that sustainable investments and the proactive management of risks drive the success and profitability of our business.
• Environmental Conservation: We operate in a way that conserves environmental resources while minimizing costs and improving efficiencies.
“I am honored to share our 2017 accomplishments in sustainability,” says Hinson. “We have set ambitious goals, made significant progress and continue to take action to ensure a sustainable future.”
Key 2017 achievements included:
• Impacting 4,900 farmers directly and more than 13,000 farmers indirectly across six countries through Raíz Sustainability, S&D’s sustainable sourcing platform (up 10% from previous year)
• Continuing the first Raíz sustainable tea project, supporting 113 small-scale tea producers
• Strengthening involvement in Conservation International with a public commitment to support the production of 150 million pounds of sustainable coffee, while directly impacting the livelihoods of 10,000 farming families by 2020
• Hosting nearly 50 attendees at the first-ever Raíz Sustainability Partners meeting in Medellin, Colombia, to brainstorm solutions around key industry challenges
• Hosting over 60 competitive stakeholders during the Landscape Level Risk Workshop in Oberá, Argentina—a first of its kind for the Argentinian tea sector—to further education and best practices
• Donating nearly $150,000 to support natural disasters relief efforts and raising $53,000 from employee-driven campaigns for local charities
• Earning a 2017 High Performer achievement award from SmartWay® due to a 7.67% reduction in fuel consumption (representing over 9,000 gallons) from 2016 to 2017
• Implementing electronic pay stubs, saving an estimated 22,000 sheets of paper (more than 400 pounds) plus envelopes in just one year.
To view the 2017 Highlights, visit the S&D Coffee & Tea website at www.sdcoffeetea.com.
In 2019, S&D will publish a combined 2017-2018 Sustainability full report with a more in-depth look at progress and performance summary to date.
About S&D Coffee & Tea
S&D Coffee & Tea, a subsidiary of Cott Corporation, is the largest coffee and tea manufacturer and supplier to restaurants and convenience stores in America. S&D is also a leading producer of liquid extracts. In continuous operation since 1927, the company serves over 110,000 customers through national distribution and direct store delivery.