While organic food items are often the healthiest option, 45% of U.S. adults said they never or rarely seek out organic food items. On the flip side, 52% said they seek out organic food items when food shopping at least sometimes.
U.S. adults report a variety of reasons for not seeking out organic food. Some adults are ambivalent that organic food is that much healthier, as nearly one-third (31%) said they are not sure if organic food is better for you than non-organic. In addition, when asked why they do not seek out organic food items when food shopping, those who never/rarely seek out organic items indicate the following:
- They're too expensive – 65%
- Doesn't matter to me, don't see the purpose – 38%
- Prefer non-organic food items – 9%
- Don't understand what organic food items are – 8%
- Organic food items are not available where I shop – 7%
- Other – 6%
"Whether you shop for organic items or not, healthy food can take a bite out of your monthly budget," said Jackie Warrick, president and chief savings officer at CouponCabin.com.
From the June 13, 2012, Prepared Foods’ Daily News