The Hershey Company plans to bring an enhanced food labeling system to its U.S. product portfolio.
Hershey will begin to roll out front-of-pack nutrition information in the second half of 2013 and will evolve its product packaging across its varied pack types over the next several years. Hershey also will be updating its website to provide consumer-friendly access to nutrition information.
Front-of-pack labeling is part of Hershey’s commitment to well-being, providing:
• a range of choices through a variety of portioned products,
• outreach programs and events that offer tips and experiences to enjoy the goodness of a balanced lifestyle, and
• simple nutrition information on products and additional information accessible through its corporate website.
The Hershey Company along with members of the Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA), Food Marketing Institute (FMI) and National Confectioners Association (NCA) are voluntarily implementing front-of-pack labeling to share nutrition information, like the Facts up Front program in the U.S. and a complementary system in Mexico.
In addition to front-of-pack labeling, Hershey specifically:
• Offers balanced recipes and tips to enjoy a lifestyle of well-being through Moderation Nation®, and supports family and school nutrition and activity programs through our membership in the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation.
• Sponsors Hershey’s Track & Field Games, the largest youth activity program of its kind in North America, for the past thirty-six years.
• Participates in the Children’s Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative (CFBAI), voluntarily committing not to advertise to children under 12 years of age.
• Focuses on product innovation to deliver great-tasting products that meet consumers’ lifestyle interests. Just last year, the company launched Simple Pleasures® chocolates with 30% less fat than the average of the leading milk chocolates.