Flavor R&D Center
Flavors supplier David Michael & Company completes a multi-million dollar expansion at its Philadelphia headquarters.
Flavors supplier David Michael & Company completed a multi-million dollar expansion at its Philadelphia headquarters. The capital investment included 14,000 square feet of additional space as well as new equipment and technology to expand compounding, spray drying, vanilla extraction, Maillard reaction, powder blending, flavor chemistry and applications capabilities. The following projects have been completed:
- Liquid Compounding – David Michael added a state-of-the-art compounding operation. It is fully compliant with GMP and all industry standards. Its design lets the company quickly adjust to new market requirements and easily expand capacity to meet future demand increases.
- Spray Drying – New spray driers have been added in climate-controlled rooms.
- Vanilla – Additional automation increases capacity and efficiency.
- Dry Blending – Additional blending equipment increases capacity. New humidity-controlled rooms enhance processing.
To accommodate client requests, David Michael added several development and testing facilities. These include:
- A new pilot plant with a full range of test equipment to serve beverage, dairy and bakery applications.
- A new, expanded culinary kitchen complete with customer presentation, preparation and cooking areas.
- A new temperature- and humidity-controlled cereal and bakery lab with the latest oven and baking equipment.
- A new reaction flavor development lab with separate scale-up processing equipment.
- Flavor chemists labs were added and updated. David Michael also expanded and updated its beverage, dairy and confection applications laboratories.
Officials named the addition after Ken Dorsey, who recently retired as David Michael’s vice president, manufacturing after 42 years of service.
—David Michael & Company, www.dmflavors.com