Corteva Agriscience: Celebrating Omega-9 Oils
Corteva Agriscience marks March 6, promotes Omega-9 Canola Oil
Healthy oils supplier Corteva Agrisciences celebrated March 6, 2019 (3-6-9) to talk about omega oils (3, 6, 9) as part of National Nutrition Month.
Omega-9 is high in monounsaturated fats and low in saturated fats. Omega-9 oils, like high oleic canola and soybean oils, should be an important part of a healthy diet. To draw attention to this lesser-known omega, and highlight the health benefits of omega-9 oil in our diet, Corteva marked this past Wednesday with a special logo.
On 3-6-9 Day, industry professionals recognize the significant health impact that omega-9 oil has on healthy living:
• Omega-9 oils, or high stability oils, come from canola, soy, safflower and sunflowers.
• High stability oils are low in saturated fat and highest in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats of commercially available oils.
• According to the American Heart Association guidelines, reducing saturated fat intake and replacing with unsaturated vegetable oil, like Omega-9 Canola Oil or Plenish® high oleic soybean oil, reduces cardiovascular disease by approximately 30% — an effect similar to cholesterol-lowering statin drugs.
• Replacing 5% of saturated fats with monounsaturated fats reduces heart disease risk by 15%.
• This small change can save $25.7 billion in heart disease-related healthcare costs annually.
• Omega-9 oils have helped remove more than 1.5 billion pounds of bad fats from the North American diet.
• Some research shows that monounsaturated fats in omega-9 oils may also benefit insulin levels and blood sugar control, which can be especially helpful for people with type 2 diabetes.
Healthy, high stability oils from Corteva Agriscience™, the Agriculture Division of DowDuPont, can be followed from the region where farmers grow it to the facilities where harvested seeds become oil — increasing the level of transparency for consumers who are requesting it from their food providers.
Both Plenish and Omega-9 Canola Oil fatty acid profiles mean food manufacturers and restaurants may put a 0g trans-fat label on their products without sacrificing shelf life or performance.
The unique fatty acid profile in Omega-9 Canola Oil was developed through traditional plant breeding, providing food companies with a Non-GMO Project Verified option.
About Corteva Agriscience™, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont
Corteva Agriscience™, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP), is intended to become an independent, publicly traded company when the previously announced spinoff is complete by June 2019. The division combines the strengths of DuPont Pioneer, DuPont Crop Protection and Dow AgroSciences. Corteva Agriscience provides growers around the world with the most complete portfolio in the industry — including some of the most recognized brands in agriculture: Pioneer®, Encirca®, the newly launched Brevant™ seeds, as well as award-winning Crop Protection products — while bringing new products to market through our solid pipeline of active chemistry and technologies.
More information can be found at www.corteva.com.