At the 2019 National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS) Show, The Coca-Cola Company unveiled new product innovations across a variety of categories along with actionable insights and tips for convenience retailers to drive in-store traffic and sales.
“Variety and choice are increasingly important to shoppers, and nowhere is that truer than in the convenience retail channel,” said James Ford, vp of Category strategic advisory, Coca-Cola North America. “As a total beverage company, we are introducing new drinks based on what we know consumers are craving. From sparkling soft drinks to energy, from tea to juice and from cold brew to dairy, our innovation on display at NACS includes something for everyone and every occasion.”
The following new products are being unveiled at the NACS Show:
• Coca-Cola Energy is the first-ever energy drink under the Coca-Cola brand. For the first time, Coca-Cola is launching an energy drink that offers the energy people want and the great Coca-Cola taste they love. The new drink will launch nationwide in January in four energizing options: Coca-Cola Energy, Coca-Cola Energy Cherry and their Zero Sugar counterparts. Each 12-ounce sleek can provides 114mg of caffeine, guarana extracts and B-vitamins. Coca-Cola Energy gives people a more appealing energy drink option that is approachable even to people who may have never tried energy drinks before. The launch of Coca-Cola Energy supports the company’s efforts to bring more variety and more options that meet changing consumer preferences, lifestyles and tastes.
• Cherry Vanilla Coke and Cherry Vanilla Coke Zero Sugar will launch in February 2020 as the latest Coke brand innovation. Cherry vanilla will provide core Coca-Cola consumers the variety they crave with a twist on Coke.
• Coca-Cola Cinnamon is a new, limited-edition, holiday flavor available through December.
• Sprite® Winter Spiced Cranberry is another limited-time-only holiday flavor, providing cranberry with the perfect blend of spices to compliment the boldness of Sprite®. With the success Sprite® has had with previous holiday flavor Sprite® Cranberry and other flavor innovations including this year’s launch of Sprite® Lymonade®, Sprite® Winter Spiced Cranberry is the new flavor innovation to launch this holiday season.
• Core Power ELITE Strawberry will also be available in January 2020. The high-protein shake will help support athletic recovery and the development of lean muscle, offering 42g of high-quality protein and a delicious taste.
• Dunkin' Cold Brew Coffee is an extension of the Dunkin’ RTD portfolio. Available in two, lightly sweetened flavors – Caramel Black and Midnight Black – Dunkin’ Cold Brew builds on consumer demand for a smoother, less-acidic coffee with less sugar and fewer calories.
• Fanta Piña Colada is the first piña colada flavor in sparkling soft drinks and has the highest purchase intent of any Fanta flavor ever. It will launch in February 2020.
• Gomega is a new omega-3 super-fusion that will launch in January 2020 in three flavor varieties: Berry Acai, Strawberry Guava and Mango Passionfruit. All three Gomega varieties contain 32mg of DHA omega-3s, two times more antioxidant vitamin C, 25 calories and no more than 2g sugar. An excellent source of antioxidant vitamin C and vitamin E, Gomega is gluten free, soy free, vegan, kosher and made with plant-based sweeteners and 100% natural flavors.
• Minute Maid Blue Raspberry will hit the market in 2020, engaging fruit drink consumers who are continuously looking for new flavors.
• Odwalla Zero Sugar is a new line of sugar-free, flavored smoothies, available in three flavor varieties: Vanilla Matcha, Strawberries & Cream and Dark Choco-Berry. All three Odwalla Zero Sugar flavors serve as a good source of protein and are keto-friendly and gluten-free.
• Peace Tea, a line of refreshing iced tea with trendy packaging and a strong brand edge, is introducing three new flavors to its lineup: Hello Mango and Razzleberry Zer-OH. The new flavors are launching in March 2020.
• Simply Tea is a new line of great-tasting, brewed black tea made with not-from-concentrate juice, with no added preservatives, colors or flavors. It will be available in January 2020 in three varieties: Simply Tea with Lemon, with Raspberry and with Peach.
• smartwater is introducing four refreshing still flavors, all of which are lightly infused with a hint of natural fruit and herbal flavors – giving taste buds a spa day of their own. smartwater pineapple kiwi, strawberry blackberry, cucumber lime and watermelon mint offer a pure, crisp taste and will launch in December 2019.
As part of its commitment to provide actionable insights for its customers, The Coca-Cola Company is sharing a new pump-to-purchase study and beverage segmentation capability for convenience retailers.
• Pump-to-Purchase Insights, Tips and Scorecard: Knowing that 74% of shoppers get gas but never go inside the store, Coca-Cola is sharing research about what shoppers say would entice them to make a purchase. For example, 63% of gas shoppers are motivated by pump signage that invites them to make a purchase inside in return for a discount on their fuel purchase on that visit. Additional insights, tips and a scorecard for retailers are highlighted in a new infographic by the company.
• Beverage Segmentation: C-stores serve a fragmenting shopper base that demands an expanding variety of beverage options. As a result, there is now – more than ever – a need to customize the beverages that each store offers and merchandize those products to specific shopper groups. Coca-Cola’s beverage segmentation capability is designed to help c-stores satisfy the demand for varying beverage needs and, ultimately, to drive shopper conversion and sales in stores.