Authentic Mexican Flavors
Edlong Dairy Technologies’ dairy flavors help create authentic Mexican food profiles that consumers can taste and appreciate.
- Explosive Market Growth: Hispanics comprise 17% of the total U.S. population -- more than 50 million people. Of all Hispanics, Mexicans are the largest sub-group. But, here’s what’s really important to the food industry: From 2005-2010, general U.S. population spending on food grew by nearly 3%. Meanwhile, Hispanic spending sky-rocketed by more than 14% and is expected to continue to outpace the general population.
- Baby Boomer and Millennial Parallels: The average Hispanic household includes four people. Hispanics are also, on average, more than 10 years younger than non-Hispanics, with a median age of 28. They have much in common with Baby Boomers from 60 years ago and today’s 18- to 34-year-old Millennial Generation. Developing products that satisfy Hispanics and adventurous Millennials provides growth opportunities for a business.
- Cheese -- Essential to Mexican Cooking: Typical Mexican dishes, such as chilaquiles, esquites, enchiladas, tacos and elotes include cheeses, which can be fresh, soft or firm. Profiles for fresh cheeses are milky, curdy, rich, salty, creamy and fermented. Soft cheeses, like Chihuahua, are savory and creamy, with pronounced animal notes. Quesadilla is buttery, dairy, sour and salty. Firm cheeses have a strong aroma and are salty. They can have fermented, “cowy” (animal) and fruity notes.
- Crema and Cajeta -- Other Authentic Ingredients: Crema is used in many traditional dishes. It has a rich, nutty, slightly sour taste and is similar to sour cream, with a higher fat content, thinner viscosity and sweeter profile. Cajeta is similar to caramel and is a popular dessert. It can be used to bring an authentic Mexican profile to many applications, such as creamers, syrups, toppings and desserts.
- For snacks, Edlong starts with a basic seasoning blend and then alters the profile for different flavor directions.
- Edlong can help manufacturers flavor less-expensive analog cheeses that closely resemble those from street markets.
- The company understands dairy nuances and can help identify the flavor note that gives margarine authentic taste.
- Edlong can help develop a distinct cajeta profile that satisfies both traditional and adventurous consumers.