Early childhood nutrition company Gerber announced a line of infant formulas with probiotics, making it the only brand to offer probiotics in all milk-based powder formulas.
Nestlé S.A, the parent company of Gerber, in addition to other academic and scientific organizations, has conducted research to determine how probiotics, good bacteria of the type commonly found in breastmilk, may provide support to the development of a healthy digestive and immune system in babies and young children. Based on this research and after assuring their safety, Gerber has made probiotics a key ingredient in all Gerber® Good Start® milk-based powder formulas.
"As a mom, I understand how important it is for my baby to be comfortable and I love Gerber's commitment to providing comfort to babies," said Kristen Finn, RD, DCN, a Clinical Scientist at Gerber. "Whether breastfeeding or transitioning to formula, I always try to make sure that my children are getting probiotics on a daily basis. Gerber has made it easy for moms to choose a formula with probiotics regardless of which milk-based powder formula they choose."
In designing their infant formulas, Gerber selected specific probiotics based on the product benefits intended:
• Gerber® Good Start® Gentle formulas are for healthy babies who are not exclusively breastfed, so Gerber selected probiotic B. lactis, which is similar to the probiotics found in breastmilk:
• Stage 1 Gerber® Good Start® Gentle is Gerber's closest formula to breastmilk and is the only powder infant formula with a blend of DHA, prebiotics and probiotics – all important components found in breastmilk.
• Stage 2 Gerber® Good Start® Gentle formula is the only stage 2 powder infant formula that has probiotics.
• Stage 3 Gerber® Good Start® Grow is the newest member of the Gerber® Good Start® family. Specifically designed for toddlers' nutrition needs, it is the only stage 3 product with probiotics.
• Gerber® Good Start® Soothe products are for babies experiencing colic, excessive crying and fussiness so Gerber selected the probiotic L. reuteri. Studies using this probiotic have shown that it reduces the amount of time colicky infants may cry
Gerber Infant Formulas with Probiotics
Based on research and after assuring safety, Gerber has made probiotics a key ingredient in all Gerber® Good Start® milk-based powder formulas
October 21, 2016